View Single Post
Old 2010-12-11, 23:57   Link #2261
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
You are all heartless!

I teared the first time I read Togame's death, but from the last couple of posts most seemed not as affected by the scene, which made Vexx's point earlier debatable. The Chinese forums were filled with emo posts and everyone here just seemed to find the long, long death speech rather boring. My somewhat sadistic anticipation of people's rage toward this ending was rather disappointed, though the English community's rather simple acceptance served to make 2ch's hatred for the ending even more hilarious (then again, what doesn't 2chn hate). I wonder if this is just the farewell scene was treated poorly (wonder what Shichika actually said, which is an anime original), or just that TAKE's design is that much win that as long as you look pretty you're forgiven.

There's also the issue of plot, which I do agree with Daniel Lind that is the weakest and most BS element in this story, was barely debated here at the end. Or did everyone just ended up being super thrilled by Shichika's Boss Rush? I think Nisio should've just changed Shichika's attitude to Hiteihime in the end to that of "You killed my waifu, so I'm taking your body as payment" for maximum trollage effect.
Echoing earlier sentiments, Togame's last words scene could have had more sadness/regret on her part but personally this may have been the direction they intended to take if you assume Togame did not want to look weak or regretful in her last moments with Shichika. She's been portrayed as being cold, calculating, and single-minded in pursuing her goal since the begining of the series though she has changed through her interactions with Shichika. She was a strong and noble character who died a rather ignoble death which can probably be seen as penance for how she's used people over the years. I thought Togame's filial piety was very admirable and that the deep romance between lord and vassal (not talking about love romance here) between her and Shichika came to fruition when he chose to storm the castle seeking a place to die.

See, I would have been fine if Shichika died too. That would have been accomplishing his goal and if he achieved Togame's goal with that I'd have considered it a happy end. For me Togame's last words were an appropriate enough ending that I didn't care much for what happened afterward because we know she was able to be open with him and that their love was mutual.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote