View Single Post
Old 2012-01-18, 20:42   Link #27150
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku View Post
Not only that, but Battler, who reads mystery genre stories all the time, said clearly in my quote that, on the contrary, the constant premise of the mystery genre is that it must be told from the impartial, objective perspective of God. And you just said that it's the complete opposite. I've never read too many mystery genre stories though, so actually, I don't have any idea which it is. It would be pretty weird if Battler was just totally and completely wrong though...
Well, there are many mysteries that are told by the perspective of God and some who simply aren't.
To make two Christie's examples that are mentioned in Umineko:
Spoiler for Spoiler for Christies's mysteries:

I think it's more common mysteries are told with the perspective of God... or, when they aren't, at least you get hints the perspective isn't necessary reliable.

(You get hints the scene described is merely 'what others told someone else it happened' and so they might have lied and the description might be unreliable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku View Post
True. Well, if the aunt is only one year older than you though, I don't think it's that terrible.
I think in Japan is okay if you commit incest with a cousin but it's not if you commit it with a aunt... so there could be a problem here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
And yet, there has absolutely been no demonstrated point where Meta!Erika and Piece!Erika have ever had this sort of disconnect, so why should we even bother to entertain the idea? It's just as completely unsupported and silly as "Ange was on the island the whole time and killed everyone."
Listen, if you don't agree with me, that's fine for me but I'd apprecciate if you wouldn't tell me that we shouldn't even bother to entertain an idea or that it's silly, just to name the first two things that came up in your first two periods of your answer to me.
It makes hard to keep on talking with you when you do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The problem with that is that ...
Spoiler for Behind a spoiler cut for lenght:
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote