View Single Post
Old 2006-07-10, 16:21   Link #66
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
I like Snake Legend and Panzerfan posts (previous page) very much. Very good summary, boredom is indeed at one of the centerS (?) of Haruhi's story.

sorry

Personnally, I'm quite strong against boredom. I mean I always have things to think about, stuff to read, watch, or listen to, walks I'd like to do, etc...
I don't need much to be kept "entertained". I'm way from feeling alright all the time (that's the less I could say ), but still, this is not somethig I have to fight myself.

Yet, I understand how bored people feel. I understand why bored people are bored. This is nothing new, I guess. I'd say that since the end of WWII and after 1968 revolution, young people have "nothing" (notice the quotes) to fight against. Boredom is human. When you're not starving, or cold, when you're not "endangered", you just get bored.

Problem is, things changed in the 80's, I'd say. Major crisis led youth to a new poverty, without a job ( at least in my own country) without a future, just waiting for social welfare.
What summarizes the 90's best is still Nirvana's "Here we are now, entertain us". Yeah, they were addressing the whole bunch of people who created that shitty rotten modern world and left it hanging without any user's manual.
2001 and Bush indeed brought some sort of "entertainment", but look... yeah, it's pathetic. Killing people and having people killed in the so-called name of freedom and peace is not fun at all, isn't it?

So, yeah, 15 years later, some of us grew old , some weren't even born at that time, but we're still here now, and we need entertainement. Peace around the world, and entertainement.

end

That's why Suzumiya Haruhi's plot is completely new. It goes beyond boredom. Tanigawa just created the goddess everyone born after 1977 (Chose the year "almost" randomly. lol) is dreaming about.

Sorry about the obscure rant.