View Single Post
Old 2006-07-11, 15:39   Link #68
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
For once something got moved and it wasn't my fault.

Looking at Raphael's post it seems no wonder that I'm a nihilist, having been born into neither generation X or Y I'm stuck in the middle without any idea where I'm going.

I can honestly say in my opinion the series has done nothing to change that fact nor does it address the issues of my generation, its more a personal battle for the characters than for society as a whole, I don't identify with any of the characters, even Haruhi who I am most like is her own person. Maybe what they are trying to say is that everybody is unique and should not be judged by the rest of society which is what everybody did to Haruhi during her youth by shunning her and calling her weird. I'm pretty certain at this point that the major theme of the series was another accepting those who are different thing, only this time the difference is that instead of the outcast being all moppy and whiny all the time she ventures out to prove herself to the rest of the world and is only emo about 10% of the time (This is where encouragement from the rest of the gang to help her along comes in handy).

So its a coming of age story except with interesting characters, it kind of bounced off me, but was still an interesting story, its just nothing affects me, even Smells Like Teen Spirit which for the first time ever today I found out what the hell Kobain was saying, was cool and all, but it changes nothing. To me the thing that makes the most sense to me is that quote from The Simpsons.

Bart Simpson: Nothing you say can upset us. We're the MTV generation.
Lisa Simpson: We feel neither highs or lows.
Homer Simpson: Really? What's it like?
Lisa Simpson: Meh.