Thread: Photographs
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 03:40   Link #648
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Thanks for the info but isn't the Tokina 12-24mm quite an old lens ? I assumed more up to date lens would be better overall coupled with the likes of USM etc and less distortion trade offs.
I think, Tokina 12-24mm was initially released somewhere around 2004/2005. Mark II was released in 2010 if I'm not mistaken so technically it's newer than Canon 10-22mm. Mark II has a new AF assembly and new coatings on lenses. Otherwise it's pretty much unchanged from the original.

In comparison to Canon, having tested both, I can tell there's very little difference in terms of optical quality. Tokina has slightly softer edges wide open and center resolution is a tiny bit worse across the aperture and focal length range. Then again, stopped down to F8 Tokina edges ahead in corner resolution.

I have a bit mixed feelings about the Canon lens. It's superior to Tokina by a minor margin which puts it quite close to professional quality. However the price in in the professional range as well. That's a bit problematic equation since as a professional photographer you'd most likely have a full frame body and in that case coughing up the extra cash to get the 16-35mm F2.8L is a no brainer.

USM though is indeed nice, it's a bit faster than Tokina's micro motor and much quieter. Canon does a slightly better job controlling CA as well.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to invest to something that tends to end up as a plaything.

Then there's of course Tokina's 11-16mm F2.8 which is a bit better than both of the others in terms of optical quality, but due to shorter focal length range is not quite as versatile. F2.8 maximum aperture is nice though...
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote