View Single Post
Old 2009-03-13, 04:28   Link #1164
ShinMasaki
バルサミコス

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It is, however, the only answer the game presents.

I will say now that I am incredibly biased against your opinion, because I really really hate fanfics. To me, they feel like they're denying the real story to replace with what 'YOU', the reader, thinks is better, and it's my personal, deep-seated belief that stories belong to the people who write them.

And how is a writer supposed to write a FANFIC about his own work? Semantically, that doesn't make sense...
How does it not make sense? A fanfic is a story not intending for it to be canon but as a possible continuation to what the original story may be. An original author can easily write a fanfic of his own work. How? If he writes it without the intent for it to be canon or be a true continuation of the original work.

Nasu's works released by Type-Moon are ALL (with the exception of ONE route in the game) fanfics written by Nasu. There is only one route in the game intended by Nasu to be the true story. Every other story written follows the rules of a fanfic: using characters from the canon universe, and being placed in an alternate universe setting.

Nasu goes and creates the characters for the story, the setting, the plot, and the conclusion. Say he wants the True Heavens Feel ending to be the 'true' story of Fate. Then what are all the rest? Stories that are not 'real' compared to the 'true' story but involve all the canonical characters in an alternate universe that go through different ordeals and/or events than the original story. If you refuse to accept this, than you cannot claim any of the endings in F/SN to be a true ending to the story at all.

My stance on this is that I believe the True UBW story to be the real story and the rest to be fanfics written by Nasu. Heavens Feel, to me, feels the most conjured story compared to all the rest knowing how each character lives their lives and their personalities you learn through the rest of the story. As it is the least likely to be the real story, which by my belief is the True UBW, it easily makes HF to be a fanfic.

Allow me to bring some quotes out from the final Tiger Dojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Tiger Dojo
As the title "Unlimited Blade Works" indicates, Rin's route is about Shirou. "Fate" and "Unlimited Blade Works" are two sides of one story. Shirou is the protagonist of this game, so the game has to be about Shirou."
"I said it before, but Fate is Shirou's story. The question of how Shirou should exist is presented in Saber and Rin's routes. One of the answers is Sakura's route, "Heavens Feel".
So we know the story has to be about Shirou, him being the protagonist. The story of F/SN is the combination of Fate and UBW with them being two sides of the same story, so you get both parts of the one story. ONE of the answers as to how Shirou should exist is Heavens Feel. The game says that there are multiple answers to how he should exist, just that the example they give is Heavens Feel.

It says that it is one of the answers among a (supposedly) infinite number of answers. Why? Because the story is Shirou's story, it poses the question in UBW but leaves it open for the reader to decide. That is why HF is a fanfic, written by the author. It is a possible ending, among any number of endings; it is up to the reader to decide what ending they want. Since no 'true' answer exists, that is why I see the True UBW ending to be the real ending, ending the game with the question raised.

As to the way you worded your message, I really dislike fanfics that do the same: denying the ending by changing things on that ending. The fanfics I like (and the ones I write) are stories that continue after the ending is complete. I enjoy a story in its entirety and I write what I think could happen after the ending but not as a degradation to the ending but as another story using the original story, ending included, as a base to write from. I dislike stories that change the original to suit their own work. That seems like you are telling the original author that they wrote a bad story and you could write one better. The ones I like accept the story and continue where the story ends or do like what F/HA does and puts the setting further down the road from the ending of the story to create a new story using the old events.
ShinMasaki is offline   Reply With Quote