Thread: Licensed Kara No Kyokai
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-30, 08:50   Link #1509
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I have a problem with that line of reasoning. This is what these criticisms sound like to me... "It's bad because it tries to sound smarter or more intelligent than what it really is." This is totally subjective. Yes there are times where things are put in there to perhaps be cool, like crosses often being used in animes as if they mean something (Evangelion), but it doesn't mean that anything of this nature is always pointless or nonsensical.
Everything we write here is totally subjective. Well, maybe almost everything. Nobody said that everything in KnK is techobabble/magic-babble/philosophy-babble, but it does suffer from these. Also, "It's bad because it tries to sound smarter or more intelligent than what it really is" really is bad, that's not particularly subjective - it really ruins the experience for any viewer who has half his or her brain switched on while watching. Just like a military show that does not follow basic concepts of war (or even laws of physics) is ruined for any military guru. Smart anime is not bad per se, only half-assed smart-sounding anime is.

Quote:
The example that people here have put out is "murder vs slaughter." Please tell me what was wrong with their line of reasoning? Maybe I'm stupid to like these sorts of things... Whatever.
If I understood their message correctly, they would have you believe that you can only murder (in their definition, "kill out of emotion") once, after which you lose your humanity and become some kind of animal only capable of slaughter (which wasn't really clearly defined iirc but basically meant not killing out of love/hate). Sounds great on paper, makes for some great lines for the characters to say, but is simply not how things work in real life. There are plenty of people who continue to murder, and there are plenty of people who are deranged butchers to begin with. The bottom line, that killing a person changes you, is what they want to get at, but it's been embellished for the sake of drama to the point where it just sounds silly. Things coming out of left field for the sake of sounding smart do not really enhance my viewing experience.

Quote:
I really loved the ending of this 7 chapter anime. I still think the 5th movie is the absolute gem of this entire show, but this was a very conclusive and most satisfying ending.
I also think the 5th movie was the best of the bunch, followed by the 3rd and 2nd. The ending of the 7th was satisfactory, although the journey to get there was prolonged more than strictly necessary (they could have used that time to plug some plot holes, like explaining what happened at the end of the 6th movie with Shiki's confrontation - one moment she's on the ground and the next moment she's calmly talking to her friends).
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote