View Single Post
Old 2011-11-23, 04:52   Link #30
Undertaker

eh, I'm going to dispute on Ermes Marana's list a bit:

I won't put Kenshin and HxH on that list since they are Shonen adaption, and unless one of some of current JUMP series stop air it's tough to argue that there should be new show for them especially there are currently more JUMP action shows on air than is ever had during the 90s with OP, Naruto, Bleach, Toriko, Gintama and not to mention new season of HxH. (not to mention Toriko, Gintama S2, HxH S2 are all new addition this year) Not only that, Kenshin was a carryover series that actually started in 1996 and HxH anime didn't begin to air until 1999 so both are not qualified to begin with.

With that being said, Berserk is a carryover, 2- cour series from fall 1997 season. So now the list down to 4 series, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Master Keaton.

That's 1 series per season. You use 2010 as example, I can easily list 4 action/sci-fi/mecha/adventure/suspense series on 2010 not counting the JUMP titles:

(BTW, Railgun from last year was a OVA not TV, it was Index which is much more action oriented.)

Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector - fall
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto - fall
Senkō no Night Raid - summer
Giant Killing - summer/fall
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu - summer/fall
Nurarihyon no Mago - summer/fall
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin - summer
Hakuouki: Hekketsu-roku - Shinsengumi Kitan - fall
Toaru Majutsu no Index - fall/winter
Durarara!! - winter
Heroman - summer
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - summer

and a few more...

I'm not even counting the 3 Marvel/Mad House release (Blade was this year), or movie/ovas like Break Blade, Black Lagoon: Roberta`s Blood Trail, etc. Anime DB that SeijiSensei listed is a good reference go check it yourself and see.

The bottom-line is that nowadays there are more anime airing on TV and at same time more genre than ever, but they are all still represented.

The difference was that compare to 1998, you (I mean western anime viewers) got exposed to more of mainstream anime series that you didn't get exposed 10, 15 years ago which made people think that the number of non-moe/harem series went up.

Not only that, 1998 was a known action year that might be best ever, with all three major action series all end up as commercial and critical success. Heck, some are even considered as classics. I mean really, what non-JUMP action series can you recall from 1995, 1996, 1997, or 1999?

Also keep in mind that the 20-30 something otaku that you blame for are the same teenager 10 years ago watching Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bepop and are the one that are watching the 2010 action series as well, they are the same crowd.

Just look at how Gundam Age was doing, and you'll realize that traditional action/mecha series are now only supported by the 20-40 otaku crowd you accuse of popularing moe/harem series.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-11-23 at 05:04.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote