View Single Post
Old 2012-09-02, 19:18   Link #1066
Dop
Mmmm....

Heavenly Creatures is the film which showed that Peter Jackson wasn't just that Kiwi guy who made wacky horror movies, but he could make damn good serious films as well.

Set in Christchurch, New Zealand, in the 1950s, this film is based on the true story of the Parker-Hulme murder case. Two misfit teenagers, Pauline Parker (Melanie Lyskey) and Juliet Hulme (Kate Winslet) meet at school and become firm friends, sharing a rich fantasy of the Fourth World, which they celebrate though stories and clay figurines, and fantasies of their saints Mario Lanza and James Mason ( but NOT Orson Welles!). Juliet's father and Pauline's mother see something wrong in their relationship, and try to keep them apart.

When Juliet's parents' marriage starts to fall apart, and it looks like Juliet and Pauline will be parted, the only obstacle to prevent them from staying together is Pauline's mother, and so they hatch a plot to kill her.

I never saw this movie the first time it came out. Then one night some years ago I got back from drinking with friends on a Sunday night, turned on the TV, and it was just starting. I was glued to the screen until the end, and was half-asleep at work the next day. I then bought the movie on DVD, which I ended up importing from the US as it wasn't out in the UK then.

Kate Winslet in her first film role just lights up the screen. The period setting is executed perfectly, the fantasy sequences by the newly founded Weta workshop are wonderful, and if you don't come away from this movie with at least one Mario Lanza song in your head you must be tone deaf. There are scenes where just the lighting is worth raving about.

I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson's earlier wacky splatter movies. Bad Taste with its wonderful parody of UK TV series 'The Professionals' and an alien invasion of New Zealand. "I am a Derek, and Dereks don't run".
Brain Dead (Dead Alive in the US), where a zombie invasion is defeated by a nerdy guy with a rotary lawn mower. An early scene is set in the same location any LOTR movie fan will identify as 'the paths of the dead', and the movie does have the line "I kick arse for the LORD!".
Meet the Feebles, like the muppets on acid. NSFW, really!

Then this sublime masterpiece. You can barely believe it's by the same guy.

If you get the chance, you need to see this movie.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote