View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 00:22   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post

In addition, the series put the dere back in Kirino...
How so?

She struck Kyousuke twice (once with a slap, and another time with a kick), and insulted him a lot. She didn't say anything nice to him in the least, or do anything nice for him.

At first, I found it highly amusing for Kirino to get a taste of her own medicine with that eroge character that was annoying her at first, by acting just like Kirino does.

However, I was kind of hoping that it would help Kirino realize that if she wanted to build a closer relationship with her brother, that she's been going about it the entirely wrong way. But Kirino doesn't change her approach to her brother at all. If anything, she even seemed a bit more abusive than typical here. I mean, really, talk about Kirino completely missing an obvious point here.

So, between this and the last episode, it seems like this anime likes to bring attention to its own faults. This was done last episode with Kyousuke being confronted about why he does so much for his sister when many of us viewers wonder the same thing given how she treats him. And now in this episode, we see Kirino encountering an eroge character that's just like she is in real life and her complaining that the character is all tsun and no dere is precisely what many of us have been saying about Kirino herself.

And raising the complaints of some of this anime's viewers in this fashion would be great (not to mention clever, I'll admit) if the anime would then turn around and correct things. But, by and large, it's not doing that. Nine episodes in, and Kirino is as tsuntsun as ever. It seems as if the anime writers think that merely admitting to the validity of some of the specific criticisms of some viewers equates to fixing the core issue behind those criticisms. It's almost like a politician saying "Yes, we hear you loud and clear over Issue X, and we will make sure to rectify the problem there", and then the politician goes on to ultimately do nothing about the issue. At some level, I almost find it insulting to my intelligence.

However, I'll admit that there is a glimmer of hope here, and that came with Kyousuke finally standing up to his sister, and speaking up on his own behalf for his own well-being. That was good to see, and that alone made me like this episode much more than the last one.

Well, that and the Kuroneko and Saori scenes. Those were a real treat to watch. Personally, I'd love to see an anime surrounding them and their lives more. Seeing what they both look like when not wearing their typical attire was great to see. My whole perspective of Saori has completely changed. On a major anime blog, I read her described as the daughter of Al Borland from the sitcom Home Improvement, and I have to admit, that really did fit. Here we see that she's actually a very lovely girl when she's not wearing the handyman attire, lol.

I'll give this episode 8/10 because it did have some entertaining and amusing bits, but Kirino's character badly needs to grow a bit, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
They say that two similar people will inevitably hate each other.
This is an aside, but I really don't agree with that saying, and I don't think that this episode proves it. What this episode does show is that if a person has an abrasive personality, then that someone meeting somebody equally abrasive can have a rather humorous effect.