View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 23:40   Link #889
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I am fully aware of your and others' longstanding and oft-repeated opinion. I just felt like mentioning that. In fact, I have come to share your opinion, since they did so little with the romance side of the story, after getting it going pretty well. In fact, I feel they did precious little with the friendship side of the story, and even the personal development side of the story, which were evidently the sides they wanted to emphasize, after getting them well set up.
Funny, I thought this was the first time I mentioned that. Anyway, sometimes romances are fleeting and just don't work out because people aren't willing to commit. I think this was one of those. It's kind of one of those life experiences. Personally I'm okay with this and am actually quite pleased that the story didn't go the obvious route with a cheesy love triangle and instead opted for the status quo.

As for the friendship side of the story, a lot of that was conveyed through the jazz jam sessions as well as the ways that they supported each other. They also fought on occasions and came back together after like happens in pretty much any friendship and unlike a lot of stuff I've seen the fighting didn't really feel like an attempt to inject tension into the story, because the tone of the story never really changed so much as shifted gears.

I don't know, I guess this one just clicked with me in a way these types of shows often fail to do and thus I just can't be disappointed in it. It felt genuine and heartfelt and decidely non-commercial and that to me is more important than how well a show follows the source or how "rushed" it feels, which is I understand of utmost importance to a lot of people. That's cool, but the way I look at it is that It's never going to be it's source material, it was evident at the beginning of production when it was announced as a noitaminA. Thus I simply did not expect it and instead chose to take the story as it was presented to me which frankly was fine.

I guess I'll let that be my final word on the overall show. Between this and Chihayafuru I'd say good character drama is alive and strong in anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
I think this is the main reason I disliked the romance angles with this show, it seemed to bring out the worst in the characters, while the friendship's left me feeling a lot happier. I feel Kaoru would of been a bunch better character if he wasn't always trying to get with Rii-chan.
It definitely did bring out the worst in them. I even think they probably realized it which was why they slowly backed away from it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote