View Single Post
Old 2012-03-28, 18:21   Link #15
Arya

I also found the first 10 episodes quite near a 10/10, each episode.
The main fault of the series lies on the dramatic change of pace of the last two episodes. No need to point out what went wrong in that two episodes, because I guess it is crystal clear. They went over the top. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have even a minor complain regarding who the Another is.
Spoiler for not so relevant on my overall judgment:

The very end was nice, it is a horror/mystery story after all Surely an hand in hand moment would have been perfect precisely because it is a horror/mystery story. As the dancing delusion has been before.

Having said all that, from a wider angle I really enjoyed this series, firstly because I don't recall any other anime of this genre hitting the target as Another. Probably I haven't watch so many horror/mystery anime, but the only one I can recall is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. But I think Another is special because the setting were handled brilliantly. We did have a supernatural factor ,but it was so well mixed with the reality that it became something quasi-natural. I don't know if I'm saying it properly. But that is an aspect I liked, no magic, no zombies (ok, leave the poor 3-3 students alone), no vampires etc etc. But the atmosphere and the tension lasted, I'd say, for ten episodes. With ups and downs, surely, but they did a great job.
The character development of Mei and Kouichi relating with the other characters could have been better, but it was ok.
Sadly i can't forget episodes 11 and 12. It should be an 8/10, but since I think this genre is the hardest to handle in anime my final score is 9/10.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.