View Single Post
Old 2009-08-09, 13:04   Link #890
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
It was obvious he wouldn't be.
Obvious only because of deus ex. It was never clear just how much stronger Cell would be, in Vegeta's eyes Cell would be a worthy opponent, as his 2nd stage was severely wanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
And I don't gauge a character's quality by their efficiency in battle. Personality and actions is what matters most for me, and Vegeta's actions in the Cell saga were rather stupid. That's all there is to it.
First off you say that as if it applies to action shounen, in action shounen a person's quality is gauged by their efficiency in battle. Second I would rather a character act like himself and make a bad decision, than a character act out of character and make a right decision. You say that personality is what matters most, but it is because of Vegeta's personality, which hadn't changed, that he made that decision. Are you then saying, that he should have suddenly acted differently, that he should have killed Cell then and there because his character wouldn't have been honest with himself if he made that decision. If you like a character, truly like them, you will take the good with the bad. He's not the only character to make a bad decision based on his ideals, Goku has made two bad decisions that I can think of. First, he didn't kill Dr Gero, which would have stopped this whole mess. Second he didn't kill Frieza, which if it wasn't for Trunks would have resulted in dire consequences for his friends and did result in dire consequences because if he did kill Frieza on Namek Gero wouldn't have been able to get his cells.