View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 16:53   Link #149
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Just because I don't think he should go to prison, does not mean I do not think he should be punished. Your statement asserts that the only means of punishment is incarceration. "I smell a lie, sorry to be blunt."
My main problems with this man are:

- The French governement shall not ask the USA to drop the charges just because Mr Polanski achieved movies awards and such. Beside some people from the government and some stars, almost no French support him. Again in the today TV debate "C dans l'air" on the French TV, after an sms question, no one who was present in the debate thinked he deserves a special treatment. So it would be good if some medias stop to say "The french are supporting him".

- I currently don't really care about the sentence, I am just disgusted that Mr Polanski refuses to be extradited and judged.

Quote:
This is a man who has already lived into the twilight of his life. If you feel like we will have achieved some justice by forcing the man to die in prison, then fine. I do not feel that way.
I have the French nationality and Polanski lived in my country, mostly since 1978, and I don't think his life was that bad here. We're not talking about a poor powerless man here.

I don't care if he dies in prison or not. I want him to be judged, that's all. Now, I'll let the LA justice to decide what is the right sentence for him.

But the man doesn't even want to be judged. Back months ago, he could have gone to the USA, because given the new supposed things that were discovered in the documentaries, his lawyers tried to make the case dismissed (about the girl he raped). It was refused because Mr Polanski was not present, while given the law, he has to be present. While he would have probably not been charged anymore for the rape, you really think he would have been sentenced to 30y of prison because he fled? I don't think so, I don't even think he would have stayed in a prison for a long time (but i could be wrong).

Quote:
Polanski's attorneys have sought to dismiss the case following the release of the HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired," which raised questions about judicial and prosecutorial misconduct. The film contends Rittenband, who has since died, was improperly consulted by a prosecutor not assigned to Polanski's case about what kind of sentence the film director should receive. While Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza earlier this year found there was "substantial misconduct" in the handling of the original case, he dismissed Polanski's motion to throw out the case because the director did not appear in court. Polanski risked arrest on a fugitive warrant if he returned to Los Angeles. He has appealed Espinoza's decision, and a California appellate court is reviewing the case.
Now, if it happens that he can't use that excuse anymore, that will be entirely his fault.

-
Anyway the guy doesn't even want to spend 1 day in a prison, or even, not even want to be judged, even if the sentence is little, because he decided it. So far I only see an egocentrical person who thinks he is above everything.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-01 at 17:16.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote