View Single Post
Old 2011-04-27, 09:01   Link #1050
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

I agree that she handled it well, but she seemed visibly uncomfortable during the mobbing and during her introduction.
Not to any unusual degree, imo. I mean, I've seen that exact type of scene play out frequently (most recently centering around Homura in Madoka Magica), and I think that Ohana handled it better than any other character that I've seen faced with it. To me, that says that Ohana gives it to embarrassment much less easily than probably your average female anime character would.

I really don't see Ohana as someone who would be more worried about being embarrassed than simply getting out of being tied up, in bondage, by a creepy stranger who is writing her into erotic fiction (and may well try to rape her, given all of the above, as far as Ohana knows).

Quote:
She was also a bit flustered when she explained about the uses of the mop in Jiromaru's story.
I think that most people worldwide would be embarrassed at explaining how a mop was used as a sex toy on them in erotic fiction wrote up by a creepy stranger.

Quote:
I guess the issue is that I didn't really see episode 3 as unusually silly for the series. Like Totoum, I saw the "Hey, my boyfriend is in debt and we're running away, go see you grandma" stuff set a less than dead serious tone for the show.
I keep finding myself surprised how people took it that way. Because this isn't all that weird, imo.

I mean, I don't even consider myself cynical or jaded, but I can totally buy a mother like Ohana's, who would be willing to send Ohana off to live with another relative while she runs off with her boyfriend to help him avoid debt collectors. There's nothing the least bit unrealistic that I find in any of that.

There are mothers like Ohana's. There are plenty of guys who get into serious debt issues (I personally know people who claimed personal bankruptcy). There are people who run inns.

It's a slightly unusual confluence of circumstances, but neither individual part of it is that out of the ordinary, imo.

Quote:
And while I agree Ohana is the best character in the show, I think Nako is adorable and I actually like Tomoe and her soap opera/pulp romance novel fantasies.
I agree with you on Nako and to a slightly lesser extent Tomoe.

Nako has received a bit more hate than what she deserves, imo.