Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-26, 21:07   Link #195
Scifience
高校生

[QUOTE]1.I'm considering to moving to japan but i dont speak any japanese just "bits and pieces" so what will be the best ways and also should i lived in a part of japan that is mostly gaijin that speak english and/or if they speak another language with english[QUOTE]

If you're planning on coming to Japan to work and live, you will need to speak at least some Japanese (unless you are going with JET/NOVA or the like, and even then it is highly recommended). You won't find a job without language ability, you won't be able to buy stuff, find an apartment, etc. I would say you would want to have at least JLPT level 3, and probably 2, certification under your belt if you were planning a permanent move for anything other than teaching English.

There is no "part of Japan that is mostly gaijin that speak English." There are very few foreigners living in Japan on a long-term basis at all when compared with many other countries, and they most certainly do not all live in one place. Obviously, there are more foreigners in large cities than in smaller towns and rural areas.

Quote:
2.Working in japan - i know there are "bilingual >japanese/english " place to work but my like of work fall under "Construction/Maintenances/Laborer/Driver" is there any company or jobs site that is bilingual friendly "since i'm a gaijin"
If you have a skill that is in demand, you'll be able to find a job. You'll need to find one before you go, though, or you won't have a work visa and therefore won't be able to legally work at all. Please keep in mind that you need at *least* a four year degree to get a work visa and a company willing to sponsor you (except in very rare circumstances, such as being a freelance journalist and therefore having no sponsor company). If you are fluent in Japanese, you will find many more jobs open to you.

Quote:
3.About driving in japan can can you tell me more about it
Unless you are going to be living in inaka, the country, you will have no need for a car. Public transit is ubiquitous, prompt, clean, and safe. There is no need to have a car for 99% of foreigners, and a majority of the Japanese do not have cars.

In addition, cars are extremely costly. There are expensive required inspections, petrol is around USD $5.00 a gallon, and in a large city, parking expenses alone are enough to ruin your budget.

Quote:
4.I heard that some japanese mock gaijin / make fun at them who try to speak there language is that true
Act like an idiot foreigner with no respect for the local culture and they will treat you accordingly. Learn the customs, the language, and don't act like a jerk and people will treat you very well. Obviously, there are racists and rude and mean people everywhere in the world, and Japan is no exception, but many of the "problems" reported by foreigners in Japan come because they feel they can act as they do in their native country without taking Japanese culture into account or simply do not understand the language or culture sufficiently to not appear rude to the natives.

Quote:
5.Housing can you tell me more also " i want to pay the rent only no hidden fee "
Nice housing in large cities is expensive. You will almost always need to pay "key money," which is essentially a gift to the landlord, and a security deposit before moving in plus the rent. Expect to pay around to USD$1000 a month for what I would consider a "decent" apartment in one of the main wards of Tokyo.

As with anywhere in the world, though, you can find relatively cheap places and super-expensive ones. It depends on what you want. Again, though, you'll almost certainly need to be able to read and speak at least a good bit of Japanese to navigate the somewhat daunting process of finding an apartment in Japan.

Quote:
6.Utilities work "Electricial,Water,Other " Tell me plz
Same as anywhere else in the world. You have to pay for them...

Quote:
7.is there any tv and radio is that englsih/japanese station
Unless you subscribe to a satellite service, all broadcast television is exclusively in Japanese, except for some language learning programs.

Radio is the same, with the exception of the radio station aimed at US military people stationed in Japan.

Quote:
and to let you know i look at other site about work and living in japan but is gave me a " smoking picture " so any info let me know
Bottom line: I'm afraid you haven't thought this through terribly well. Moving to the other side of the world is not something to take lightly, and you seem to have little idea what you want to do there or how to go about doing it. You seem to have no real language skills, and no job skills that would be marketable in Japan. Unskilled labor (which seems to be the sort of thing you mention) is not the type of thing you can usually get a work visa for.

I don't mean to discourage you or shatter your dreams or anything like that, but rather to provide a bit of a reality check. I hope you (and others) have found this information helpful.
Scifience is offline   Reply With Quote