Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-22, 01:50   Link #508
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
If the laws require him to perform the service, then referring to another does not clear him. But, if it were me, I would try to understand his choice, as long as it wouldn't place burden on me, and the general society.
When I said "clear him" I meant in the minds of the people here who don't find it objectionable, not in the law. The law is not logical in its dealings

I'm trying to understand him, but I'm having difficulty understanding it. My sympathy for him varies depending on what I try to visualize his decision as. As I am not anti-homosexual myself, it's the only way that I can come to understand why he did what he did. For example, let's compare it to a scenario where a doctor does not feel comfortable euthanizing (assisted suicide) a child patient. If the doctor wanted to comply with the patient's orders he could recommend another doctor who would perform the act. Such a situation seems understandable and even commendable, and I could see a potential parallel with the issue we're discussing here. I will not take this analogy any farther, however, because it doesn't parallel this issue quite so nicely.

The doctor's reason for refusing service makes a big difference. If he refused because he firmly believes that homosexuals can't raise children properly and he wants no part in bringing a child of theirs into the world, that's a bias but it's one that he's entitled to have. However, to then say that he won't serve them (simply because they're homosexuals) but he knows some other doctor who will seems very strange. What kind of a message does that send, to say that you won't do it yourself because of who your clients are, but you know of someone who doesn't mind that and will provide the service?

Quote:
If a person knows that the laws require equal treatment to the patients and wants to follow that path by promising himself not to follow it accordingly, then he should either stop walking that path, or target to work at a place consisting of people that think and live like him.
Agreed.