Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-22, 14:48   Link #514
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Premarital sex doesn't have to do with religious beliefs, as far as I know. I'm also under the impression that people become more religious as they grow older... not that the highly religious don't go against their beliefs.

I can accept that he may have been trying to negotiate between feeling that it was wrong for this couple to have a child but still attempted to meet his professional obligations. It still feels wrong to me overall, though. Sexuality is one thing, but what if we applied this to an ethnicity situation? I think it would be considered inappropriate by everyone immediately. (That is, assuming that race alone was the deciding factor; I've been assuming that the couple's homosexuality was the reason for the doctor's refusal to perform the service, but I don't think that we can say that such an assumption is 100% correct at this point.) To those of you who feel that the doctor wasn't wrong in what he did, would you feel differently if he had denied the procedure to a couple belonging to an ethnic minority, simply for their ethnicity?
Being in an inter-racial marriage in a country where UNTIL QUITE RECENTLY many states had prohibitions on "inter-racial" marriage on their law books, I can say that many/all of the complaints are identical to the ones objecting to inter-racial marriage (including religious beliefs).

I'm sorry but even the religious argument does not hold up well under scrutiny for this matter... or more exactly, its an example of very selective "pick and choose" which injunctions bother one.

(as far as religion goes... the older I get and the more i *examine* various religions - it is probably fair to say the less "religious" I get though I've come to appreciate certain value systems)