View Single Post
Old 2013-04-23, 13:22   Link #29
alarmadadna hadi

Quote:
I'd question how "middle eastern" any company in Dubai really is, especially when their website is in English.

That said, I liked what I saw in the preview, though I found the spoken language a bit jarring (and I've read somewhere that the dialect used is a strange choice, due to limited understanding in the Arab world; though with no real knowledge of dialects and languages spoken there, and this being the internet....).
I believe the founders of Alter Ego to be emiratis, though they seem to have global professional contributors.

For the second point, the dialect used is the colloquial Arabic used in the gulf countries in general, the United Arab Emirates in particular, I wouldn't say it's that limited though (perhaps Arabic speakers in north African countries like morocco might find it harder to understand)
That being said, supposedly only the main character uses this dialect.

Quote:
Though their choice of visuals does tend to spark curiosity in me... Why not base it in a city of a Middle Eastern country? Like, billboards and road signs in Arabic/Farsi/Turkish or whatever this production might be from?
Quote:
That or that character is suppose to be Japanese. Some mecha expert or military/corperate advisor on drivable giant robots (as that is almost always a Japanese thing now in fiction).
It appears the setting will be japan, but the characters will come from different countries, so different languages (or dialects, if we're talking arabic countries) will be used. The japanese in the trailer seems to be part of the case.

Here's to hoping they get a sponsor through their pilot episode.