View Single Post
Old 2008-07-31, 13:40   Link #195
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its a nice article overall... though there is some garish over-focus on the few otaku who dress like the Lucky*Star characters ("scores" versus "300,000" at New Years):

Terribly misleading subtitle for the article, especially since such crossdressing doesn't really have the negativity it does outside of Japan (the negativity arises more from just being an anime fan or otaku at all). At least the pictures show the guys do a little justice to the characters unlike some of the awful examples I've seen at American cons :P

The interesting parts of the article are the interviews with the business people and the shrine folk who are just darned happy that people visit, play nice, and spend money
Those were my favorite parts too. It's good to hear that the fans can be fanatic and civil at the same time. I was a little intrigued by the mention of that guidebook that some guy wrote. It wouldn't do much for me, being in America, but I still wish I could look at something like that. It sounds neat.

I figured that the article, like any other news article would exaggerate or focus on shock factor. I was still sorta surprised at how much attention they gave to the guys in skirts. Doesn't sound entirely Wall Street-ish to me. But oh well. :P