View Single Post
Old 2009-11-04, 17:33   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
He should have been suspicious that they 1) conveniently managed to contact him 2) why would they leak information to him about their own deal
Akainu clearly states that he wants Whitebeard to fall, and that he doesn't care about the NW Captains. And since Akainu is seen as something of a proponent of an "Absolute Justice" ideology, Akainu would the one most disgusted with the WG potentially dealing with Whitebeard instead of killing him. That being said, it wasn't just the fact that Akainu contacted him, but rather the fact that he gave a specific outline of how the assault would play out, something that could potentially only be known if the assault was planned out in advance (or there is someone that is a superior strategist ...this is Squado's biggest mistake, not realizing that someone like Sengoku could have deliberately sacrificed his own forces during an initial encounter with Whitebeard, just so that Sengoku could have sprung a trap later on, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
3) the marines are unlikely to make such a deal to begin with (just like WB wouldn't).
The Marines work for the WG, and the WG likes to keep pirate as pets (called the Shichibukai)...so why couldn't the WG make such a deal with Whitebeard? As for believing that Whitebeard could have betrayed him and his men, well that is a little harder to explain. I agree that the explanation Squado provides only really makes sense if you can understand the betrayal that Squado must have felt toward Whitebeard for potentially siding with Roger's son. But, I agree that this betrayal is not (yet) adequately explained. Maybe there will be a flashback in the chapter to help convey the emotional gravity of the situation; otherwise the lack of trust for Whitebeard seems a little simplistic, even if Squado did believe Akainu's words.

Then again, maybe Squado really didn't believe that he would actually strike Whitebeard, so the attack was supposed to be a way of confirming the situation (i.e. Squado attacks, Whitebeard dodges, then they talk...but that is not how it played out).