Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 22:25   Link #491
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As mentioned, sci-fi fans are a lot pickier than they were 40 years ago. As long as the producers are consistant on the ranks things should be fine, even with the English speaker's protesting specifics on ranks (much like I was earlier in the thread when we had even less information).

The Third Lieutenant thing makes me sigh and shake my head only because there is no rank named that in any current force in the world. The Japanese yet have 「三尉」, but they split their ranks into basically two types each with three ranks. The junior officers grades 「尉」, and the senior officers grades 「佐」, with the flag officer ranks above and Warrent Officer below. These would match the US Navy designations of (Warrent Officer) - (Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Lieutenant) - (Lieutenant Commander, Commander, and Captain) - (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Admiral)

For Air and Ground Forces these would be (Warrent Officer) - (Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, and Captain) - (Major, Lieutenant Colonel, and Colonel) - (Major General, Lieutenant General, and General).

They also have seven enlisted ranks, but those don't seem to come into play much (much like in Star Trek, the enlisted ranks were generally unimportant unless they were a Chief Petty Officer. Eventhe "Red Shirt" were usually ensigns).

(There is also "Midshipmen" which are basically cadets still in academy. I don't know if the Japanese still use that term for students at the National Defense Academy of Japan)

Now it is entirely possible that the rank system could have changed in nearly 200 years. But since the current rank system is at least that old, or older (Royal Navy old) somehow I doubt it. Though it might be different simply because it is a space navy and not an ocean navy. It is still a Navy. Even says so on their patches.

(I may have a more indepth review of the episodes Sunday or later...after I get that BD player.)