View Single Post
Old 2004-06-19, 04:30   Link #1
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Cool Metal Gear Solid

Bascially this is a thread for all things Metal Gear & Metal Gear Solid.
Gameplay,
Character design,
Story,
You name it.
Bascially the main motive for me to start this thread is to unite every MGS fan in this forum under one banner!To disucss the genius of MGS!
One of the coolest things of MGS is the fact that it differs greatly from the typical stealth game,in fact i might even say it set the thrend for cool stealth games everywhere!
One of the coolest things about MGS is how the creators manage to make all those insane things make sense,in a cool way to boot.

Let's take Psychomantis for example,from MGS1:The Twin Snakes.
The official report on Psychomantis is as follows:

FOXHOUND member. Was a psychic secret agent for KGB. Has powerful psycho-kinesis powers and the ability to read people's minds.

Losing his position in the Soviet Union after its crumble, he moved to the US. He served in the FBI for a while, then became a freelance espionage agent to be scouted to join FOXHOUND.

Read it?Good.
Psychomantis is a psychic,this is one of the key points i want to point out.(haha)
The genius of the whole thing is the creators ability to incorperate a psychic,normally found in other adventure/horror genres,into a reality-based military stealth game!
Fantastic isnt it!
The whole blend of anime-style characters into a reality-based game without losing the touch of what makes military genres cool and realism,is well...cool!

The MGS series also has a way of incoperating real-life events and fit it into the overall plot.Take the 'Gulf-War' and the 'Gulf-War syndrom' for example,in MGS1.

Gameplay.Needless the gameplay for MGS is fantastic as well,esp for MGS1 rather then MGS2.The player interaction,(A video game in itself is a player interaction,yes, i know.)as in changing memory-card slots,(people who fought Psychomantis know what i mean)adds to the overall "fun" experience.
Let me share with you one of my experiences.I was at my friend's house playing,you guessed it, MGS1.We had completed the game once and had a Bandana.We were well on our way to completing it a second time for the stealth suit.This led to a natural relaxation,since we completed it once,let's goof our way through the second time!The stupid guards(we were playing 'easy' by the way,more fun^_^)added to the fun.Remember the place you had to go to before you entered the room you fought Psychomantis in?Remember the guards patrolling the toilets?I personally enjoyed sneaking up behind them while they were peeing and them planting Claymores behind their backs,albeit sadiscally.

Tsk.Tsk.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote