View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 10:10   Link #207
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Not every viewer agrees with that, Kanon.

Honestly, I myself don't. I found that detailed panty shot in the first episode of Bake to be a case of over-the-top fanservice (thankfully there wasn't too much more of that the rest of the way, at least from what I can recall off-hand).

I'd probably like this show/series even more with less fanservice. The characters, dialogue and SHAFT visual style (i.e. backgrounds, scenery) are by far the best elements of the Monogatari series, imo.

In my view, those are the only integral parts of the show's appeal, and they're all good enough that the show could work on them alone.
You're right, it's not something that appeals to everybody. Nevertheless, it's a very important aspect of the show, and to me it is as iconic to the series as the witty dialogues or SHAFT's style. It's all the elements you have mentioned and the fanservice put together that makes Monogatari what it is.

While I would still immensely enjoy it thanks to its witty dialogues and its eccentric characters alone, a Monogatari series without any fanservice wouldn't be quite the same. Like, say, Hokuto no Ken without manliness. Some may like it better that way, others less. My point is, it has always been present and it would be different without it. As such, I consider it an integral part of the show.