View Single Post
Old 2012-10-11, 14:50   Link #167
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I still believe Kyaba had a major problem, being there was only 10K VR sets at start, most MMO need over 2 million subscribers to break even, I fail to even see how SAO would work economically. Maybe that is the reason he needed a death game to keep a "captive audience"

Well, I don't think he needed to break even considering his ultimate motives... Anyway, I think most MMOs are so expensive due to development costs... I think the LN kinda implies that Kyaba developed the whole thing, or the vast majority of it, himself >.< but still, why such a limit release? was he trying to weed out noobs and not let the town of beginners on level 1 get overcrowded?

Returning to one of your earlier points, I think you made a great point when you said that every when playing EQ, you have the option of logging out. this is exactly what made SAO a real world, it's not the fact that it's a death game that made it real, but the fact that you can't log out, or rather, you can't quit, just like how you can't quit life. thus:

bringing us back to the topic of this thread. for me, if I'm not allows to give up/quit and go do something else, I feel like I might as well make something good out of the situation... glass cannon DPS build FTW! hope I don't die early, but even if I do, I'll die knowing that I probably took something down with me :P
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote