View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 05:41   Link #67
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I can't help but feel extremely tired with this arc, due to how the setting was done.
The purpose is quite clear and definitely nudge the huge issue Haru has regarding his self esteem entirely based on his aviation ability.

However, the build up just doesn't fit. Sure, we know that Haru is quite proud of his ability that basically let him earn his position among KYH's group, but his arrogance is starting to be quite a stretch, especially he faced many occasions where his ability got countered, and sometimes, quite -hard-.
For an experienced player, the fact he literally ignored Noumi special gauge and didn't feel odd that he was basically letting himself hit on purpose was nerve grating.

Past the laughable blackmail being nonsensical when you think about it, Haru's decision of not disclosing his situation just make things worse since his predicament would be exposed the very moment he fight alongside with Taku or KYH when she is back. So while I can buy that Haru is completely shaken by his loss, keeping his mouth shut just doesn't cut it.
Also, his complete underdog attitude is sort of huge setback. I would rather expect it to occur something like...right after Taku joins them, but even after the whole chrome disaster arc, this "back to square one" setup just leaves a weird continuity in his character development imho.
I didn't expect Haru to magically get over the issue, and did see the angst coming, but the fashion and actions alongside are going a way bit "too" backwards in this case.

At least, this arc will most likely allow him to learn some trick and gain a more "subtle" confidence in himself.
Meanwhile, color me surprised by Ash Roller: I surely didn't expect him to knock him some sense, so his speech and invitation to see Sky Raker definitely made him earn points.