Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-19, 17:06   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I'm sorry but where did I ever imply they held a monopoly? You simply said it looked like it was running in a tight "budget" (which to be quite honest isn't even all that relevant for good animation, the staff/key animators working on it are much much more important), and I commented that there's nothing cheap in that trailer, and that it has quite a few of good looking scenes.
That's the impression I get from a lot of talk that goes on about this studio. That they exist in some sort of black hole within the industry where everything that everyone else is doing to push the medium forward doesn't exist and that everything Kyoani does is somehow a pioneering effort.

There's a lot of mythology surrounding this company so I felt it was important to get that out there early on. Call it being pre-emptive.

Quote:
I bolded the two relevant parts here. You're admitting yourself that it has "some" (it's really most of the trailer, but I digress) complex motion, so, well, are you by any chance acknowledging it has good animation? Because it sure seems so!
I think what I was saying that there is one part of it that looks about par for what I'd expect out of TV animation in the 2010's. The rest looks like static shots. Possibly recreations from the 4Koma?

Quote:
As for the last part, if you don't see that as "special", there's nothing I can do. I can safely say that shows which are able to have animation as good as what's shown in that Nichijou trailer aren't the norm in the industry, but the exception, as unfortunate as that might be. And even if they were, in my world, at least, not being the "best" doesn't make it "bad". The fact there exists shows with better animation does not make Nichijou look any worse.
I don't know how much experience you have in watching anime outside of certain genre's but from all that I've seen from anime ranging over the span of 5 decades I would say that the vast majority of anime look far better than what I saw in that trailer. I don't think anime would be the popular medium worldwide that it is today if most shows looked inferior to that trailer. That's a scary thought actually.

Quote:
And while we're at it, before you try to tag me (and anyone else who might just enjoy animation and is interested in the subject) with the "blind Kyoto Animation fanboy sticker", which, from what I gather was your main intent with such an absurd comeback as that monopoly one, no, this doesn't mean the exception is limited to Kyoto Animation. The only difference here is that since Kyoto usually runs a lot of in-staffers, the production quality of their series is constant, and as such they have built themselves a very well deserved reputation regarding this matter. But that doesn't mean every other studio isn't capable of good animation, especially seeing as key animators as a whole work as freelancers. So, in the end, it's just a matter of hiring talented people. J.C Staff has been doing it a lot lately with Hironori Tanaka, who's done scenes for Ookami, Merry, Toradora, among others. Or Genichirou Abe, who's usually associated to SHAFT series due to his work in Bakemonogatari, Soremachi and Pani Poni Dash!. Even Naruto Shippuuden - which I'm sure a lot of people would turn away in disgust by the simple mention of the name - has been pulling out lots and lots of episodes with fantastic animation. You'd be amazed at how many talented key animators worked on the show lately. Hiroyuki Yamashita, Norio Matsumoto, even Shingo Yamashita.
Okay judging by the examples you chose to use we have both seen VERY different sets of anime in our time. That actually explains a lot.

Quote:
So, yeah, basically, my point is that I never even mentioned such a thing as a monopoly and I have no idea where you got that impression from. I'm simply someone who's interested in actual animation and am able to recognize that Kyoto does a fairly good job with it most of the time. And that alone is a reason that compels me to watch Nichijou, even if I'm sure that I won't be very interested in the plot or the characters.

Cheers.
If you take into account a very small fraction of what the industry puts out (i.e light novel/visual novel adaptations) Kyoto Animation's....animation fairs very well. I can agree with this much. However take what they've put out in the grand scope of things and they really don't fare that well at all quite frankly. Again just going by my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Kyoto Animation's quality can 'never' be bad and that's one of their main 'characteristic' and even a brand value.
And there it is......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote