View Single Post
Old 2010-07-16, 03:36   Link #289
asa.hoshi

Just finished watching it last night, forced myself to watch last 4-5 eps after each other because of all the suspense in the un-answered questions!

First off, this anime is extraordinary different from Clannad which I had watched prior. Clannad is currently the best anime I've watched thus far (out of like 15 animes =p )

My point in comparing is because the only reason I watched Kanon is because people said it has that same emotional PULL as Clannad, therefore in liking Clannad I should like Kanon.

All in all i think I was dissapointed because my extremely high thoughts on Clannad were difficult to maintain after watching a "good" Kanon. That is, if I watched it the other way around it would have been better.

I have not watched Kanon 2002, thats next on my list, i think its great how they made a 24 episode adaption because in 2006 I still felt it was rushed at the important parts, and slow during the un-important bits (pacing was bad imo) so i cannot think to imagine how the 2002 one is =/

I think KyoAni are superb in their skills of still making you SAD even though none of the characters died! (except sayuri's brother). What I think did this to me was saying Ayu in a wheelchair =(

Such a funny, energetic character in the whole anime is reduced to being restricted by a wheelchair... "do you think I will ever be able to run again Yuichii" ....

*compose myself emotionally*

I was rather surprised at the ignorance by the producers of Nayuki. Let me explain, I have read all the threads on every episode of this series and as a first time viewer my brain automatically told me "Nayuki is the 2nd main character after Yuichii" my reason for this? Look at the opening theme song, Nayuki is presented first....Yuichii lives with her....meets her first and so on.

In Clannad for example Okozaki meets Nagissa first and the rest is general knowledge.

Obviously as I kept watching the series the other characters were broguht in, but still....there was a potential to be a whole series based on "does he choose Ayu or Nayuki" especially after the issues of the other characters were resolved.

Thats not to say I liked Nayuki (sorry!) she was too weird/childish/ yawn yawn yawn.....so was Ayu in a way, but I had a liking to her character more haha. BUT in the last 3-4 eps I had a much greater respect for Nayuki than in the whole series! She matured and developed more.

Point of ^^^, well I think the producers should have had a whole episode and a bit dedicated to Nayuki as they did for Mai, Shiori, Makoto etc.

I gave Kanon a 7/10 overall because of potential. I think considering the game from what people have said explores each of the characters deeply, they did a good job in squeezing this into a 24 ep anime =)

But in the last 2 episodes it felt "empty" everything was so fast paced its like they did this

Scene 1- take a look at Akiko....secret revealed in regards to Ayu
Scene 2- we learn the fate of Sayuri
Scene 3- we learn the fate of Shiori
Scene 4- Makoto
Scene 5-everything is tied up (Ayu).

And note, each of the above events happen in rapid progression. I wonder whether it may have been wiser to have 2 episodes to explain each of the above rather than karate chop your way as they did... (note: I wonder....not "i think they should have")

Overall I don't regret watching it!
asa.hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote