View Single Post
Old 2012-08-01, 23:57   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Either way I just kinda hope it doesn't draw too much influence form Madoka.
While I love Madoka, to see another show that isn't quite connected but influenced heavily is just not what I want really.

But do love the character designs.
Well, the fact it's a magical girl show done by SHAFT is almost certainly going to give it an overall visual style very reminiscent of Madoka Magica. Some of it is those magical girl character designs that look like they'd fit right in PMMM-verse, but most of it is a simple matter of "SHAFT being SHAFT". Even if this show has an overall mood as light and fluffy as Card Captor Sakura, I still fully expect it to have some weird-looking stuff in it.

The real question, then, is if it's narrative content will be as dark as (or even darker than) what's in Madoka Magica. That's what I'm uncertain of.

In the comic book world, there was a famous comic called The Watchmen. You could say that The Watchmen were to superhero comics what Madoka Magica is to magical girl anime. The Watchmen was a very well-received comic book. After The Watchmen, comic books took a decided turn towards being increasingly grimdark and "realistic". It got to the point where I often wonder if the comic book world no longer knew how to properly write bright and colorful superheroes like Superman and Spiderman.

As much as I love Madoka Magica, I don't know if I want it to forever redefine the genre. Part of Madoka Magica's appeal, imo, is the striking contrast - Character designs which are so vividly reflective of classic magical girl aesthetics in a relatively very dark show. But if those sorts of character designs consistently show up in darker shows, then they'll eventually become mentally associated with darker shows, and then the contrast value is lost. And then I fear you'd lose something of the core essence of magical girl anime.

On the flip-side, though, it can be hard to have a show be generally upbeat and optimistic while still capturing the gravitas that Madoka Magica did. It's not impossible - I would argue that Gurren Lagann did it - But it's tricky.

On the whole, I guess my hope for Prism is for it to have a look like Madoka Magica, but a feel like the original Nanoha anime. That's probably the ideal balance here, imo.