View Single Post
Old 2012-10-14, 18:37   Link #907
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
She got a psycho pass reading of a latent criminal. Do you honestly think that the basis of the psycho pass is simply just stress? Or does simply thinking of something bad gives you a latent criminal reading? Of course I also don't know but I would imagine it wouldn't be as simple as that.
Well, what caused that woman's reading to go down so suddenly if it isn't "just stress"? A few reassuring words from a police officer, and her threat level suddenly lowers from "needs lethal gun mode" to "paralysis gun mode is fine".

I mean, it really does look pretty bad on the face of it.

Quote:
What I simply mean when I say that "it doesn't logically follow" is that the it does not make sense for this system to pass when it's as crazy as you're making it out to be.
I don't know. The War on Drugs in the real world is pretty crazy, if you ask me. Locking people up, and essentially ruining lives, because people smoke some marijuana. That seems pretty crazy to me, and it's going on in the real world.

I've seen some pretty questionable stuff get supported on the basis of "we need to get tough on crime".

Here I kind of agree with Tenchi Ryu - I wouldn't underestimate how far the general public might be willing to go just to capture a few more criminals, or eliminate a few more threats to society. And if Gen is providing a sort of social commentary on that, I think that could be very compelling.