View Single Post
Old 2011-11-03, 10:13   Link #283
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Anime shows that started airing in Summer 2011 simply didn't sell all that well as a group.

Lots of them fell short (some well short) of how much they were projected to sell by some of the more avid anime Blu-Ray sales watchers/speculators. It was more than just Idolmaster and Mawaru Penguindrum. For example, Usagi Drop pulling in less than 4 K in Blu-Rays alone is also pretty disappointing.
Well, excepting the Idolmaster issue I explained earlier (the quoted figures do not by any means tell the full story), I think part of this is that the algorithm the sales speculators are using (based on Amazon pre-order rankings) is just not very accurate or complete (since it is only Amazon after all). After a number of series in the Spring exceeded predictions, I think people started to be optimistic and inflate their expectations for other shows. Keep in mind also that people are still in the process of buying Spring series Blu-Rays at the moment, so that money still being spent can't necessarily also go towards new shows. And also, people are asked to buy the Summer series Blu-Rays at the time when they already know what Fall series are out or coming out, so some people may decide to hold back and save for the Fall shows. It would probably be more instructive to look at some sort of rolling average to see how much total money is being invested on home media at any point in time (which I suspect hasn't dropped).

In the end, YuruYuri's sales are quite solid for that genre of show, and Idolmaster's sales will certainly be satisfactory when you include the Limited Edition Game Bundle. I think the sales are still pretty robust when you consider the "carry-over".