View Single Post
Old 2009-12-15, 10:17   Link #270
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
There was trust between Beatrice, her league and Battler, but I doubt there was any trust between Bern, Lambda and Battler.
I was not talking about trust between characters within an existing universe.
Of course the detective wouldn't trust a possible culprit, that is his reason for existence, to doubt.
It is about trust between us and Ryukishi, who created those rules to begin with.

A situation like Bern saying 'I went to get you sister from the future' to Battler is not problematic and nothing strange. Of course we can reason wether she lied or not...but even if she lied it would just be her devious character (which is how she was written) leading another character astray...it would be part of the plot.

But if she said 'Beatrice the witch with whom you are talking right now killed all the people on the island' and it later proved wrong, it would not only destroy the concept of red truth within the story and therefore rob the characters of a way to reason.
It would also rob the reader/viewer of any chance to reason and would imply that he was toyed with by the author from the beginning. That would hinder the reader from ever trusting anything introduced by the author ever again and would destroy the basis of 'investigation'.