Thread: anime trend
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 15:18   Link #10
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It seems the time of superpower anime, with fighting is kind of over.
Also robot animes are less common these days.

Most anime today is more about talking instead of action.

It seems to me, most anime is about regular life, nothing spectacular, and preferably happy episodes.

That's in shark contrast with how I grew up.

Sure there's the occasional superpower anime being released, but the majority of it seems to be directed towards the Y-generation and the millennia generation.

Too bad the X-generation gets cut out
I don't see it conflict in taste between generations. In the competition for genres like action/adventure and sci-fi, anime has lost ground to live action and games. It's not like interest in these genres has declined, its just that anime has become less interesting as a method of delivery. For example in superhero content, the tokusatsu, with lower production costs then anime, are dominating the pre-teen market.

The bulk of anime these days is late night anime which is mostly character driven and centers around daily (or should I say high school) life (usually with a touch of fantasy or the supernatural), I agree, but that's not that it replaced the other type. It's a fairly new market aimed at a limited audience with it's own tropes and conventions. Therefore I don't think it's fair to blame late night anime for the decline of action, mecha and epic adventure anime. (and way to often the source for irritating "old versus new" and "moe ruined anime" debates.

Also there is also some material each season aimed at the nostalgia market. Most of it are OVAs and easy to miss. Still, that makes it hard to claim that the anime industry has forgotten about long time fans that want more advanced versions of the shows that they grew up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, Kurozuka, Gurren Lagann, Katanagatari ....

Perhaps the OP just hasn't seen very much anime? Yes, *trends* have changed... but somehow I fail to see how the "X-generation" has been "cut out" since many of them have expanded their tastes to include more than one narrow slice of the universe of anime. The type of shounen anime he appears to be referencing is designed for a young (pre-teen) male audience.

Of course, out of those we'd have to ignore the four most popular anime series in the world which apparently never end.
Those popular four wouldn't be, Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon? Not exactly shonen. But you are right, the shonen big three and a handfull of other titles are the current incarnations of Dragonball, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya etc.

Still before the 2000s there was a category of anime, on daytime tv that is, that aimed to please both a young teen and an otaku audience. With the rise of late night anime, those mixed shows have largely disappeared, except maybe Gintama and whatever 2- or 4-cour anime studios like Bones or Sunrise put out. So I can in part relate with the OP having trouble finding anime in the "larger then life" category. There is some, but only a small fraction of total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Many Superrobot animes were toy merchandise vehicles.
As such, you could count the Beyblade/YuGiOh stuff of today as their successors. Looking at the current schedule, a lot of those shows are running. They just get ignored by us. I personally think they are aweful, but children might disagree and so would 'me' of a distant past (perhaps ).
I didn't know Beyblade and Yugioh had toys like http://www.hlj.com/product/WSCJAGD or http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00184. Super robot = toys = kids right?

Don't forget, unless anime has artistic/cinnematic ambitions (and sometimes even then) it will try to sell you something. Whether it's toys, DVD's, manga, character goods or games, in the end most anime is a 25 min commercial.

Last edited by Bri; 2011-06-14 at 15:29.