View Single Post
Old 2012-07-07, 01:30   Link #18
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Well, I'm not really following the show anymore so I can't be too mean, but from the 11 episodes I've seen, I don't remember one downside to using Accel World. Saying "if I had acceleration, could I save somebody" is like me saying "if I had Spiderman's powers, could I make a difference".
Not exactly... there's a difference between idly daydreaming about something, and taking away a gift from people who do already possess that power. There's also the fact that so many of the game's participants are deeply infatuated with being a Burst Linker, to the point where they use that position to derive most of their self-worth... and there's of course tension in the fact that Haruyuki and Kuro must reach level 10 to learn the truth about the game from its creator, or the rift that will surely form between Haru and Yuki if they're ever the last two Level 9s remaining. The stakes certainly aren't anything like Sword Art Online, and I can understand if it deflates the tension for you. The story works perfectly fine for me, though.

Quote:
And don't say "at least he develops, unlike (a loser I probably like)"
don't worry, I would never say anything that dumb

Quote:
Oh my god. So that stake doesn't come up until more than halfway through the series? Isn't that a little late to be adding an actual reason for me to care if Haru loses his powers?
No, it's far from the halfway point. There's 11 Light Novels out, and we've only reached Volume 3, I think; not to mention I don't believe the end of the story is anywhere in sight, so who knows, the stakes could be introduced in something like Volume 3-4 out of twenty-something. (Yeah, there's the old line about 'Stories should be able to stand up on their own' blah blah, but I think this is one of those scenarios where some leniency should be given for the fact that this is an adaptation of an existing story where the pacing might have worked better in its original context.)