View Single Post
Old 2007-06-25, 19:32   Link #61
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I enjoy mainstream jpop about as much as I like "mainstream US pop" (the corporate machine variety ala "Z100" radio or the equivalent).

That is to say, I'd have to be heavily drugged so I couldn't get away. Sometimes I'll hear mainstream jpop and it feels like one is stuck in a bad imitation of a Perry Como variety hour, or perhaps Tony Orlando and Dawn, or ..... that part of the music culture that pretended Beatles never went "wierd" and burrowed its way into the Disco part of the 70s whilst the rest of us ran for FM radio.
Now I've stopped making sense to most of the audience.

(checks the torrents again for ep 12....) tonight I'll watch EnA's version of ep 9 and 10 and see if I thumbs up their version of reality.
Are you talking John Lennon and Number Nine weird, or Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds weird?

My policy on J-POP seems to be I like it when it's male artists (sometimes), but I often find myself scrambling for the x button or skipping openings when its a female singer unless the backup part is really good. I don't know why that is, but I think it comes down to not liking their voices. I'm the kind of guy that likes straight up singing as if the singer can feel the music flowing through them and I think female J-POP artists all to often are putting on a voice so to speak, which combined with the statuesque style of live performance involving hand gestures and smiling makes it seem too produced rather than from the soul.

I mean I'm not asking for AC/DC or Freddie Mercury style showboating, but just a little more feeling like I see in J-ROCK acts such as the JAM Project.