View Single Post
Old 2009-09-25, 20:21   Link #811
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

That cover is... wait... what the hell?

I mean I know nekkid -> profit but still...

"We think this design really captures Holo’s playful spirit in a way that will appeal to fantasy audiences." - read: "not wearing clothing" lol.

Okay so from a marketing standpoint, I understand what their trying to accomplish. If you want to make the light novel idea work you need to grow the market considerably, best way to do that is pick a similar market and steal some of those people. In this case its the usual fantasy crowd. It is an interesting and commendable idea to market the stories to a more mature / well established audience, but man is this the wrong way to do it. Your basing the move on the hope that people will look at the cover and go "OHH SHINY!", but what about when they flip open the first picture of ACTUAL Horo and go "WTF! I've been had!".

Eh they're right, it probably will take a lot to make this work over here. But is sex honestly the only way to give it a foot hold? And why the hell would you pick this series to use that tactic on... not a very good match.

"We'll definitely be exploring the possibilities. At the end of the day, we want people happy with their purchases, and having read the book, I can say that it would be a shame for a cover to keep anyone from adding it to their collection."
Kurt Hassler
Publishing Director
Yen Press

But banking on the cover being the reason to add it a collection is fine I guess. Unless the original cover was made available I probably wouldn't buy it... There is a poster on the mania forum that pretty much echos my thoughts... it just produced an immediate strong feeling of opposition. It could have been any other scene or shot of Horo done live, and I probably would have found it very well done... but not this.

Last edited by AKnightWhoSaysNi!; 2009-09-25 at 21:17.
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline   Reply With Quote