View Single Post
Old 2008-03-26, 22:03   Link #1039
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Really, it irks me when people put 'realism' as the sticking point for mecha. If it's anything like Gundam/Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell/Macross level, I'm fine with it. We can basically nitpick how unrealistic any single element is forever. To me, that's just plain not fun. I've gone through that discussion at least for a thousand posts in other forums. In the end, I think it's all about selling the action and the cool factor most of all. Does those Macross VFs really need the dozens of reactive warheads to fire all at once? No, but does it matter? No, it looks cool.
That's true to a point, but keep in mind that it's common for certain people to constantly praise their favorite show for it's realism, even when it's completely unwarranted. And there comes a point when the excesses of the plot or writing or designs or choreography overwhelm its fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
The variable fighters were built for combat in the atmosphere. It makes more sense for it to transform.
It makes sense for the fighters to have a "Fighter" form, but the Battroid and Gerwalk forms are still sort of superfluous from a realism standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psme View Post
I think there are many hand fighting scenes in the original Macross TV series. After that the need for hand fighting seems much reduced as there is much less gaint to fight with!
There wasn't all that much hand to hand combat in SDF Macross - maybe four or five occurrences in the whole show. And of those times, most of them were due to desperation measures as opposed to the melee > ranged combat rule that's so prevalent in most mecha shows.