View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 18:33   Link #28
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

It seems I really prefer the shorter arcs of this series. 2-4 episodes really did the job for most of the other characters, and even with Araragi's "victory lap" at the start of the series, Karen Bee sort of dragged. On the other hand, I didn't feel Tsukihi's arc was rushed. There really wasn't anything more to say about her immortality after she got bisected by Posed Look, and I don't think there was any reason to drag out the Tornado Tag with Shinobu at the end.

Spoiler for Thoughts on "that" scene:

I thoroughly enjoy all of the Bakemonogatari cast, and Kaiki in particular is a great addition. The only places where things were less than stellar were where you could tell the original story was trying to wind down. I understand that Nisemonogatari ended up not being the last novel, so it's a shame that the whole thing felt like it was coasting in for a landing from the very beginning.

I was pleased to see that Araragi elected to take Hachikuji's advice from episode 1 to heart, and did his part to lead his sisters gently out of the world of the supernatural, like a good big brother. He takes responsibility for them, and we can see that they're good kids being brought up well, so there's not much to worry about there.

I can't say honestly that Nise will stick with me the way Bakemonogatari did, but I enjoyed almost every minute of it, even if it overplayed its hand with the fanservice to the point where I got completely numb to it. It was all brilliantly executed, and often should have been hysterically funny, but it was just so prolific that it lost its impact by the time the Tsukihi arc hit.

I'm looking forward to Kizemonogatari more than ever. Maaya is phenomenal as a refined and achingly beautiful monster of the night, and funny as hell as her loli remnants.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote