View Single Post
Old 2012-11-23, 11:43   Link #38
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
They're willing to bust into an apartment over that, but not bust into a school over dead and brutally mutilated girls?
Maybe they know what to do with a broken toilet, but aren't well trained in how to handle true madmen, beyond keeping a steady hand on the dominator.

In all fairness, Rikako is working fast. Probably too fast for her own good at this point. I don't imagine that Shogo expects (or ever planned) to keep her around for much longer. Perhaps she doesn't care either, as long as she completes enough of her work before being caught.

For a surveillance society that drives the disturbed deep underground, they don't seem to have much trouble finding one another, do they?

Rikako's father's life choices interest me. We see the horror of what he became linked to the fevered quest for mental stability in the new society, but what he was before seems to paint a more intriguing picture of the man. Artistically, he created grotesque images and disturbing material using young girls as subjects, but their purpose was cathartic in nature.

(Come to think of it, don't we know someone with a similar creative bent?)

Regardless, from Shogo's speech it sounds as though the father's desire to bring people peace through tragedy was completely earnest, since he lost interest in doing so once medicine and technology could do a better job of it. The fact that he used such extreme imagery, and then later retreated into the peace of sedation (and later the grave) makes me wonder if his own soul was a troubled one. Clearly he didn't mean harm the way Rikako does, but medicating away a conflicted mind is not a signature of the well-adjusted.

I am not remotely surprised that this world has bastardized the old WW2 propaganda slogan: "Keep calm, and... take more drugs to make yourself even calmer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Actually, it seems to me that nothing fazes her. I mean, she does have a strong opinion about stuff, and she can be surprised and has morals, but her mental state doesn't appear to change at all.

There's a word for this. It's "psychopath".
The thought had crossed my mind. Specifically I wondered how some of these people escape the screens for as long as they do, and then I remembered that the truly mad don't often show any signs of mental stress. Depending on what the metrics of crime coefficient are, that could have something to do with it. That made me think of Akane's friends enviously remarking on how her psycho-pass never wavers. Obviously she's not a danger in the same way that Shogo is, but I wonder if there's something just a little bit "wrong" with her. And if there is, can it even really be considered "wrong" if she leads a completely normal life anyway?

Moreover, what does it say about Sybil that it flags that kind of personality as the ideal enforcer of the psycho-pass system?

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-11-23 at 12:01.