View Single Post
Old 2007-05-18, 14:26   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You rested your computer? Look here - it's important not to stress your system to dangerous limits, but your activities are not going anywhere near the stress levels, I assure you. Because the computer is made up of moving parts, you'll hear noises - the sound of your CD/DVD spinning in the drive (this sound changes because it's not always spinning, and not always at the same speed), the sound of your HD performing various actions, and even fans whirring to different speeds (if your system is using fans with variable speeds - many newer systems do). These are all normal, get used to them. It's important to get used to them, because occasionally when you do hear a sound that is out of place, you'll know that there's a problem. But if youre terrified of every single sound, you'll lose that ability.

For what it's worth, I've put my computer through the airport three times and only my case took damage - all three hard drives and three optical drives were not damaged (for the record, the case took damage because airport security insisted on opening the case to look inside, but they didn't put the cover back on properly). I don't recommend slamming your computer around, but that's a testament to how much physical punishment the system can take (while off, anyway - when in operation, it's a bit more delicate). I've also put an HD through months of activity where it'd piece together fragments of a file the size of gigabytes (~3-4 gigabytes on average) and then completely re-write the file, a process that took a few minutes. That HD is about five years old.

I could just be lucky, but the point I'm making here is that you're worrying way too much. There are some lucky people (me?) who rarely experience a hardware problem, and there are some people where their computers always seem to be cursed, but don't take a superstitious view on it. Your computer is there to be used, you paid for it, and it doesn't have worker's rights. It doesn't have defined break periods. The average home user has no chance of breaking their hardware from their average usage - they only have to worry about aging hardware and defects.

So go ahead, do what you think is pushing your system. You'll be terrified the entire way through, I'm sure, but when you finish with that activity, you'll realize that nothing bad happened, your system performed the way it should have, and perhaps you'll be a bit less afraid from then on.