Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-08, 23:31   Link #258
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm. Well science fiction fans are a lot more picky about details than they use to be. Star Trek's fanbase shows that much. So now with each ship and fighter getting its own paint job and in several cases clearly defined numbers and/or names...people are going to keep track. It isn't like the old days when you could get away with having wave after way of the same cel animation passing in front of the camera to show off a wing of fighters...with every single one painted the same.

I'd recalled the number of Cosmo Zeros landing in the old Episode 4 and seem to recall a cel duplication in some versions of that same episode which has two Cosmo Zeros in formation with the Black Tigers in front of Yamato (I don't remember if that was the Star Blazers dub or the recut film version of that scene).

I'd never really considered Kato having a Cosmo Zero as he was the leader of the Black Tigers, and sort of thought that either they had had a squadron of Cosmo Zeros early on but were destroyed in the early fights, or they has only a few flights for some reason, because I seem to recall Kodai wrecking one at some point. The catapults I'd figured were suppose to be for the recon planes so they could keep the flight deck clear (sort of the excuse a few US carriers before WWII had flight deck catapults to launch scout planes while having the deck used for the main strike groups or prepared for fighters. That was before the scout plane also happened to be the primary dive bomber.)

Of course back then it might have been the thought that having more than one Cosmo Zero...Kodai's plane, would confuse people. This sort of thinking happens from time to time where the producers underestimate the intelligence of the audience.