View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 17:28   Link #11698
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros
Is it odd that throughout this series I've sort of been hoping Zenkichi would, how can I put it...match up to the rest of the group? I mean, by himself, he's, I guess anyway, superhuman. He knows savate, has the devil thing among other strengths like patience, kindness, and is just generally a good guy, and under normal circumstances, should have things going for him but in this story he's just..dogfood. I hate that.I just hope he has finally, after the long and painful fall finally hit rock bottom in usefulness, so he can finally improve. Since it doesn't seem like he'll improve until he hits that point or at least till he realizes and acknowledges that point. Like a pokemon that only evolves into a legendary at level 100 but until then has to use 95 in all stats until then. /officially end rant of disappointment in Zenkichi.
I see what you're getting at.

But I don't particularly agree with an extremely powerful Zenkichi, at least, not one in the same way that Medaka, Kumagawa or Ajimu are extremely powerful.

I think that if you just gave him an extremely powerful abnormalitie(s) to rely on, he'd lose part of that normality and that deep understanding of the human heart that he gained - or at least it'd be contradictory to that.

I'd like Zenkichi's strenght to come from that, just like it always has.

And, as a bright poster stated before, a style seems to fit him perfectly, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
he only won the election because Ajimu is all about doing the impossible and she was supporting him (more directly because of Hanten's skill creation skill), ie: he was Ajimu's pawn and anyone else would have also worked;
Ahem.

Someone is forgetting these little pages;

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

As Ajimu herself said; the reason for Zenkichi's crushing victory for Medaka, came from him and him alone. Plus, you know, he's the one who thought of and presented his thoughts in speech-form to the students.

There's nothing demeaning about a victory were your friends had been helping you in the side-lines. Zenkichi knows his limits, he has a skill for that, actually. it's because he realizes his limits that he has friends, and a council to aid him. That's not the same as accepting a meaningless victory or a defeat.
And his victory, while unsatisfying to us readers because Medaka was not destroyed like we wanted it, carried meaning to Zenkichi. Alot of it, actually.

Accepting those limits, and finding a path to victory anyway, is what he's all about, not that his entire accomplishments in life has been unimportant and meaningless like his character.

*Like against Kei, where he set a trap before-hand.

*Like against Nienami, who not only had a weakness to bluntness, but was not using her style to full power.

*Like against Medaka, where he couldn't beat her under the universe's current rules, changing those around with Devil Style.

This manga is far above such things as shitting on people's hard work.

Sure this all boils down to opinion, but sounds like a much more accurate interpretation that just handing out a "meaningless" stamp to a character's life, don't you think?

Besides, all this depends on the character's interpretation of victory. Like Anshin' said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey
It would had been except that the later chapters were nothing but coincidence. Zenikichi sort of got killed two arcs ago and we don't know what happened to his Devil Style since.
For the recond, though, I agree with this.

But this has to do with more than just Zenkichi, although he is a big part of it.

Since the last two arcs, the manga hasn't reflected it'self the way one would want or expect, save for a select few chapters.

I don't know why he re-hashed the plot-point of Medaka's sueness just to trash it again(albeit completely), in chapter 178. We kinda already had that in the True Flask Plan Arc. Which gave us two arcs that felt terrible, for the most part.

Nevertheless, I agree with what you said. The amount of disregard to the past changes in the True Flask Plan arc has been turning a certain amount of people off. Alot, if you can count online forums, alot of which I visit, that voiced distaste on that.

Last edited by Wolfenstein; 2013-01-19 at 18:03.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote