View Single Post
Old 2010-12-07, 15:47   Link #129
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Here I find myself kind of agreeing with multiple positions... I think there's been a lot of good character and story development, but there could easily have been much more (based on what I've learned about the source material in the last 24 hours) despite the tight time budget. We've got poorly paid writing staff working under absurd deadlines trying to adapt excellent source material for a number of anime. Sometimes you get lucky, often you don't.

I still consider this one of the better series in the last couple of years because of the issues it tries to address (as I do the Zakuro series and its disguised examination of racial tensions and prejudice) but also realize any shortcomings in the adaptation.
Zakuro is one of the anime that got lucky, since it has Okada Mari as a screenwriter. I actually felt she improved on the first manga chapter (the only one I've read).

Ore no Imouto... I'm willing to forgive the breakneck pacing, as while it would have been nice for things like Ayase's family background to be included, the story is still fantastic without them. The changes made to episode eight, however, really did bother me. The series has had two fantastic arcs so far (episode 1-3 and 4-5), but I feel it needs one more to make the leap from "show I love" to "genuinely great anime" - that should have been episodes 7-8, but it wasn't. Episodes 9 and 10 were both solid episodes - hell, nine was absolutely hilarious - but they don't quite fit the bill either.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.