View Single Post
Old 2013-10-02, 06:24   Link #62
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet
Dolls that big irl don't seem elegant to me at all... (I have a Grandmother who owns some dolls that big or larger... they're hideous and frightening. T_T)
you know those dolls are going to kill you in your sleep now, right (I mean, Suigintou is still angry over being called 'junk' by Shinku over a century later)

rip Kismet, we will never forget you ;_;

While I honestly find the loyalty of the Nomad crowd quite touching, I have to throw in my weight behind Zurückspulen for the best Rozen Maiden series. Lovely little show, this was. The observations that Triple made about the differences in the anime landscape during the mid-2000s is an interesting one, and are largely news to me since I'm not well-versed in that time period; I think the anime world was quite different during 2008 even (aka the tail end of the decade; it's not until 2009 that anime largely feels the same to me stylistically as what we've been given in the 2010s), so of course things were rather different during the mid-decade. I also wonder if part of the lowered sales issue isn't due to, well, piracy? Downloading songs was long since rampant by the time of Nomad Rozen Maiden, but I don't think that downloading episodes of television series (which are much larger than the ~5-10 megabytes most songs at the time entailed) was nearly as common a decade ago as it is today. I don't think it was until 2004 that dial-up stopped being the dominant connection speed in the US and was finally surpassed by higher-speed internet, and I'm guessing Japan progressed at about the same speed.