Thread: Licensed 5 Centimeters per Second
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-12, 08:20   Link #13
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
While Shinkai's efforts and talents (especially at background art) are rightly lauded, he doesn't seem to be always good at story-telling. He should try and synergize energies by bringing in people who can polish up his writing, but I know alot of artists are too self-centered to do that.. not that it's necessarily a bad thing.
Well to me it isn't the detail of the BG art, as Ghibli and even Gonzo (in Giniro) proved already...its the perfect staging of the reflections. If I would give an Academy Awards of Aftereffects for the Best Lens Flares, Shinkai would be the one and only winner. But what I find stronger as proven by his work in erogame openings is his ability to piece together sub-1-second memory-lapse-style flashes of accelerating imagery. His direction really pulls in your brain and tricks it to recall fond imagery as if they were entirely your own. He also happens to time his images to the music well (or is it the other way around of Tenmon timing his to Shinkai's?). So this music-video style of his is perfect for creating shorts...he starts with a promo trailer, then expands it (I don't think he starts with a full sequence, then cuts a trailer out of it...more like the other way around).

His strengths are backgrounds and direction.

Since music-video style is open-ended, these skills are best for shortform narratives. For longform, it may help him to hire writers like he hired character animators.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote