Thread: School in Japan
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-05, 00:04   Link #33
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
I think it might be better to append the thread to Japanese Culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You mean the mi hitotsu yo hitotsu -something and also the one about the bird on a mountain? Really interesting lol when I first heard of those in the DS game Subarashii Shin Sekai.
Yes.

1 hi / i
2 hu / ni / ji
3 mi / sa
4 yo / shi
5 go
6 mu / ro
7 na
8 ya / ha
9 ko / ku
0 re / o

square root 5 = 2.2360679 , therefore you can remember as
ふじ さんろく おうむ なく (a parrot sings at the foot of Mt. Fuji)

The same method can be used to memorise historical events:
にちろせんそう へいし たりない ひとくれよ
(Japan-Russo War, we need more the soldiers, give us men / 1904)

Besides, such technique is often applied to non-decimal data.
For ionisation tendency,
かそうかな まぁ あて に すんな ひどすぎる しゃっきん
(Should I loan to him money? Anyway I cannot trust him; the debt amount is too bad)
K > Ca > Na > Mg > Al > Zn > Fe > Ni > Sn > Pb > H > Cu > Hg > Ag > Pt > Au

Can you tell what it means?
ポチはん ゆるして ブルブル あるよ
Hint: Po - Cz - Hun - Yu - Ro - Bul - Al

However I think students in other countries employ similar techniques; otherwise, how can they remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
So is the schools in Japan as fun as they depict in the animes????
You know the answer. It is unimaginable that every school in a state holding more than 120 millions population is equally enjoyable. And Japanese schools (or the whole society) have innumerable bad aspects as well as good ones. But it is fact that many adult people have precious memories for the days of their school-lives so that anime producers draw them beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Ok stupid question. What time does school start and end. How long is the lunch break?
In model cases elementary schools commence at 8:30 and end at 15:30, with lunch time break of 12:00-13:00 and cleaning time 13:00-13:20. The temporal unit of classes is 45 minutes with 5 minutes break. So, as you see, pupils have 6 classes a day. Jr.- and high schools offer 7 or 8 classes of 50 minutes a day, with shorter lunch-time break (30-40 minutes), and the ending time is around 17:00.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote