View Single Post
Old 2008-09-26, 10:19   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like fights with:
  • Blades, knifes or otherwise sharp melee weapon. As long as it's not boring like Bleach (as in: mumble muble *swing* *swing*) or overly exagerated skills (can defeat any enemy with outh a care, oh please).

• Guns and firearms. When there's more to it then just point and shoot.

• Martial arts in general. I usually like it mixed (feet, hands and body movements) or otherwise complement with the above (blades and guns).

As far as I'm concern, the battles should be:
  • somewhat long (minutes)

• if they must have dialog, have it at the beging or the end; or if they really must have dialog in the midle, short quick phrases rare and far betwean.

• involve some sense of balance ("I am l33t hence I win1!!11!" battles suck so bad)

• have a good reason to fight (nothign more stupid then a pointless fight)

I don't like, mecha battles in general. Usually I find them acceptable if their somewhat tactical and use firearms. There was only one anime where mecha sword-like fighting looked good and made sense to me - Soukou no Strain - most others I usually go meh when I see it. If the mechs start flying (even lacking any plane transformation) it's instant fail in my mind. The final generation mechs always look gay to me; they always look like mahou shojo style crosplay.