View Single Post
Old 2011-05-07, 15:59   Link #4
Gooral
Banned

In chapter 93 one of the translators has translated this part (2 years ago, probably when his English wasn't as good as it is today):

あんたに言われなくたってそんな一か八かで戦ったりはしないわよ
as:
Even if you don’t tell me not to, I wouldn’t fight against such odds.

I was thinking of sth like this:
1) Even if you hadn't told me to not do it I wouldn't fight against such odds

Przemoc has come up with these:
2) Even if you hadn't told me to avoid fight, I would do it against such odds
3) I wouldn't fight against such odds even if you hadn't told me to avoid this battle

So which version do you think is best? Or maybe you have your own?

Edit:
I'm not asking to translate from Japanese, I'm asking to make it look better in English. The original translation is perfectly understandable but I think conditionals have to be used here.

Edit 2:
It's been changed by the translator to: Even without you telling me so, I wouldn’t fight against such odds. So this concludes it.

Edit 3:
I've found a perfect post for this thread. For example, Cyclone has clarified that dragon kin isn't the right translation. Descendants of dragons is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
(...)
The term was - and always has been - "ryuu no matsuei no ichozoku" meaning "tribe/race of the descendants of dragons".
These DoDs (for short) are one race on the enemy's side. The enemies side does not have a name (neither does the Org's side).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Awesome to hear it's back! Thank you Mods.
(Oh well - there goes any reason for joking about Galatea's wrists...)

about that line in particular though:

"だがその一方の勢力がまるで龍の末裔とも言われるような強固な外皮を持つ人外の種族を仲間に引き 入れ"

人外 - absence of human habitation (or breech of morals; inhuman treatment)
種族 - race/tribe/species

Does that mean that the DoDs are a race from some unpopulated area, that they have no area of their own (are nomads), or what exactly? Or am I misreading that entirely (or should I be reading 人外 as simply it's parts [ouside (of) humans] instead)?

Last edited by Gooral; 2011-07-06 at 00:25. Reason: Added DoDs