View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 20:31   Link #1
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Miku Miku Dance(MMD) / Doujin Animated Videos Thread

Recently I've gotten into watching Miku Miku Dance (or MMD for short) videos. For those who don't know, MMD is a freeware program made for the purpose of animating Vocaloid music videos (hence the title), but it's been used for a whole bunch of other things. Anyway I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a thread devoted to this. While there is a vocaloid thread, this isn't exactly the same. That said, MMD videos tend to use Vocaloid characters, and also a lot of Touhou characters, so it's fandom overlaps heavily with those two. Anyway, even if you're not particularly interested in either (as I am), I think there's still a lot of interest here.

Anyway let's share any good videos we come across. Also of note, the center of MMD is Nico Nico Douga, it's hard to access NND if you can't speak Japanese, so if you give a link to NND, please provide a link to it's youtube (or other english language website) equivalent if possible.

I've included "Doujin Animated Videos" in the title because there are a fair number of good Doujin animations that are 2D, or don't use MMD, but share similiar appeal to MMD videos.

Many videos posted may be music videos, and while the music is an important element to a good music video, music videos where the visual element isn't noteworthy(eg a static image, or a repeating simple animation) should instead by posted in a relevant thread in the Music section of the forums.

Anyway, here's some examples of well done MMD videos I've found:

Spoiler for Music Videos:

Spoiler for Action Videos:

Spoiler for Humour:

And here's an example of somethings not made in MMD, but would be appropriate in this thread:
Spoiler for Non-MMD:

In addition, "MMD Cups" get held twice a year on NND, and information on it in English is scarce. Currently MMD Cup 8 is underway, and if anyone has information on entrants, finalists etc. it would be great to discuss about it and update anyone who is interested and doesn't know Japanese..
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote