Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary)
View Single Post
Old 2013-11-28, 22:10   Link #1239
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's sad. If Kyoukai no Kanata had done a better job of engaging viewers earlier on, and had done a better job with its major characters, then Episode 9 would have been truly excellent. In a vacuum, it seems like a key episode in a legitimately very good Shakugan no Shana-esque show. But it's let-down by what came before, causing its emotional notes to not ring as true and clear as they otherwise would.

As is, my feelings are similar to Kanon's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hmm, a rather predictable development. It would be a nice twist if Akihito did die (to be honest I couldn't care less about him, he's such a bland character), but I don't believe that for a second. I hope the explanation for his survival will be good.
I also would consider it a nice twist if Akihito did die. If nothing else, that would show actual balls and creative courage, which aren't exactly the first thing "KyoAni" makes me think of these days.

But Akihito will likely pull through, of course, so I likewise hope that it has a good explanation, at least.

Quote:
I can't tell who the biggest douche is anymore, Izumi or that other guy whose name I can't remember.
You mean the antagonist who stole Sakura's staff, I presume? Well, at least he seems to be aware of his douchebaggery, and is reveling in it like a good villain should.

By contrast, Izumi seems much more cold and matter-of-fact about this. She seems to think she's in the right here, whereas the antagonist is just acting selfishly, and he knows it. At some level, I respect a sincere straightforward villain over a manipulative trouble-maker who hurts others while acting high-and-mighty.